Sunday, April 12, 2015

Beaches, birthdays and boys...

Apr 3rd 

Sister Glyyn my preceptor and her husband took us to the turtle sanctuary on the other side of the island. It was awesome seeing the hard work one guy has put into saving the sea turtles here! They have babies from a few months up to a 17yr old guy names Old Hegg. Steph and I then hung out at the beach and relaxed. I got to read a book that was not nursing related for first time in 6 months! We met one of the crew of a Regatta boat called Zulu and the guy Triney was really nice. He introduced to several of the crew and owners from Nantucket. His personality reminds me of a friend at home so I called him Black John Kelly, lol. 

Apr 4th

We went did schoolwork in the AM…boo but gotta do some! We did reward our hard work with some drinking and met up with our crew guy from the Zulu Triney again. He brought along another crew his brother Nolan and we went to a local bar to eat some pulled pork. Well Stephanie didn’t eat it! Lol. They actually chop their pork, not pull but it was very tasty. Then we went to play dominos at another local car. He got into the spirit and Steph and I won the first 3 games!! They get into the game and slam the dominos down hard. I got Steph revved up with my competiveness and she slammed so hard on the table her last 2 wins she knocked dominos off the table! We hit up the big Easter Dance party at the hard court, which is basketball and enjoyed dancing to 90s hip-hop. Apparently remixes of dance songs from our youth is popular here! They even have a giant bubble machine and we just had to jump in! Was a great night!

Apr 5th
Rest day and beach time, which was much needed! Steph and I did find that Coconuts are our favorite new thing. As we took a “scenic” short cut route home from the market and harbor and turned out it was a long cut up to the top of the world, err I mean mountain. We definitely got in a workout!! If not for the coconuts, which can stain your clothes if the outside touches them when they are immature, we would have died on the mountain top road lol. Home safe though and a bit wiser on taking seeming “short cuts”.

Apr 6th
We made it into town for the Easter holiday but missed the crying contest and laughing contest. The local winner the last few years, who I heard won again, is sooo god she has gotten her son upset from her crying and has had to stop! I met up with our crew friend Triney again and hung out a bit while the Regatta awards were given out. Their boat the Zulu won a lot! They won 2- 1st places in the Cruising II Class, which the largest, 1 2nd place and they won the overall in the class. Some of the other categories were cool and a 15-year-old kid won the solo class for the day and overall and they prize was a trophy and a bottle of rum, but they couldn’t give him the rum L.

Apr 7th.
Another DM/HTN clinic day and a few people with BP’s >170s which seems to be commonplace and BS >400-500. They treat very strange here. They will page MD despite a DM protocol. The protocol is very similar to what we have in US, but the MD over rides and will give insulin 70/30, have then drink water and wait for a hr. to recheck. The sugar is of course still high and then he gives regular insulin and follows the protocol… The NP’s here have ability to change meds but I have yet to see them do it yet. They don’t like to override MD or do without pt. seeing them first. They were surprised that we can do this ourselves at home.

Apr 8th
School and immunization day! We had several school age kids getting their last Pre-K immunizations of OPV/MMR/Dtap. Since school has been out the last 2 weeks and she has not office with the hospital down, she pulled a few of the kids into a room and did their assessment for school clearance. It was really cool to participate in this. While I am not doing FNP and will not have children as patients, it was great to work with these adorable kids. Some were shy and some were very excited to have a white person at their attention! I one girl who waved like a princess at you and when you asked for a high five, she fist bumped you with her thumb up and giggled. It was the cutest thing ever! ALMOST makes me want one, lol. Finding mornings are crazy as everyone comes early to get things done and then slows down after lunchtime. Staying busy thankfully due to ER being the clinic as well. After Easter it should pick up though. Also mainland had a project for the head nurse to get their meds inventoried every week and monthly so they can order more efficiently and not run out, which has been happening. I volunteered to help her get the spreadsheet set-up and met with the guy who orders the meds and saw the boat manifests he works off to set-up up the sheet. The head nurse was busy with 2 traumas. One boy had a stone dropped on his foot and it cut a 2in deep gash all the way down his foot. He was likely to need surgery. He had several broken toes too. He was 10 and barely cried while there. The next was a man who was pretending to be in a movie and a stuntman and was punching through a glass window. Well he did not do it quite as well as in Hollywood and had a hole the size of a fist in his forearm to elbow! The MD came in for both and had to do NS washing, cleaning and suturing. The arm guy was then sent to the mainland to the hospital once he was stable. Oh and I almost forgot, I woman came in having mild labor contractions so she was sent on the ferry with a RN and an emergency bag in case… Lucky for her she made it to the hospital and did not deliver on the ferry!

Apr 9th
MY BIRTHDAY! I slept in, had a pedicure and manicure at London Beauty Supply which was a great placeJ. She took her time and pampered me for 2 hrs, gave me 2 hookups in case I wanted to hike and the other is a surprise for Brian so I can’t mention yet! Then ate a wonderful steak dinner after the beach at the Black Pearl. The chef was outside and since I was only patron at the time he came over asked me what I wanted cooked and offered a special and made it order. When he found out it was my birthday, he made me a lava cake and put  candle in it. He at the end of my meal had friends from France where he was from come in and it was one of their birthdays too. She was watching me get my cake later and made the staff come sing to me as she said everyone should have that lol. I then met up with my crew friend Triney again for a few birthday drinks.




Apr 10th

Got the rest of my confined water dives done and then met up with Steph at her place. We went out for some local brews in area in SVG called Quetellaes. We met several great characters, one who wouldn’t leave her alone to where she had to pretend to be with another local and he still would stop staring. Ziggy was a young 21 gentleman who was nice enough to keep the guy away from her. He later passed out and the female bar owner took the pool chalk and rubbed all over his face to get him back for messing with us ladies! Girl power. Oh and I almost ran pool table on a regular, Steph got down to last ball and we saw a local girl beat up on 2 guys. We met Asquith, who has the small dreads and I'll discuss more on next blog, and a farmer Marcus or “Melody” cause he sings. Then there was a Calypso singer “Rankin” who is suppose to be famous and was popular in Germany in the 80-90s. Steph and I are looking for nicknames as everyone has one. White and Tall girl are NOT options lol. That catches me up mostly and will post more in a few days! Tomorrow we hit up waterfall and Pirates of Caribbean movie set……

No comments:

Post a Comment