Monday, March 16, 2015

10 days!!!

So I am leaving in 10 days and can't believe after 9 months of planning it is here! I have finished my PADI E-learning online and will be completing the open and closed water dives and get SCUBA certified the first weekend I arrive.

Sadly we found out today that our preceptors will not be able to accommodate living with them due to family constraints and we will have apartments. Being so OCD I am torn with being happy to be by myself, but really wanted to challenge myself to living with a stranger for 1 month and seeing their life and culture. I have an option for 1 upstairs apartment that offers no internet and is about $970 a month. Then there is  downstairs apt that is $570 with internet.... Hmmm let me think lol. Waiting to make sure it doesn't have an outhouse or something crazy but will take the less costing one to save money for adventures! I feel I am on House Hunters International and getting a place sight unseen. My biggest worry is while the island of Port Elizabeth where I will be in the North Grenadines in the city of Bequia is transportation. It is a small island that is only 7 sq miles so I am thinking a bike rental or cheap purchase while there and walking will be a good option. There is also taxis at $9 a trip or buses which are crowded and spotty schedules for $6 a trip. They have a personal van for $1.12 but finding out if each way or roundtrip and the schedule. If it is a personal van to the clinic for my self it would nice for rainy days! I'd have a driver lol!

I know the residency director thinks I am crazy because I asked about any gym facilities and cleaning. I don't mind cleaning on my own, ask my husband!, but wondering if I'd have to buy cleaning supplies and such. Nice thing is the apt is on same street as my preceptor and is owned by a staff nurse at the clinic I'll go to so sounds like a good spot. So many logistics I think about.... packing will be a challenge as I pack a big bag to go to clinic for 3 days and only have sleepwear, clinic wear and gym workout stuff. Going away for 5 weeks and I have no idea what to wear or what I may need! AHHHHHHH, LOL.

I have my final deployment meeting this Thursday and look forward to meeting my traveling partner in person! We have planned to do dives and hiking the volcanos and there is a 1 hr ferry to the big island where she will be for $16 roundtrip. Bad thing is ferry leaves my island last at 430pm and the big island to return at 630 daily. Means any later eves would mean I'd bee staying on the island. The one nice benefit to the housing change is the extra space. They have stated mine is 2 bedrooms and her is 3 bedroom and we are free to stay at each other's places without any charges. This is awesome for dinners or weekend trips and so we can visit each others places and areas. This would have tricky or not possible preceptors home I think.

Didn't get as in shape as I wanted, or as tan I as I wanted but still have 10 days and only 1 clinic day left and 1 shift at work left so gonna bake it up so at least I don't look like Casper!

I will miss my 3 fur babies and husband but excited to spend a week with him at the end of the month when he comes for us to visit Grenada for a few days. The next post will be on island time in SVG!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment